Home Remedies for Weight Loss
Where to Start?
Every girl wants to look slim and beautiful, but not everyone can lead a healthy lifestyle and go in for sports. Even if you are not fond of sports, whether dancing, aerobics, or working out in a gym, you can have a fit and graceful body. All it takes is 20–30 minutes of exercise a day to get in shape.
Take care of your body, be attractive, and enjoy good health.
Here you will find a practical set of exercises which help lose weight at home without visiting a gym. Using our tips, you can make an individual workout plan. Before training, you should warm-up. It prepares your muscles and joints for physical activity and prevents injuries.
First, warm up your neck, then pass to the shoulders and arms, lower back, buttocks, hips, knees, and feet.
If you cannot warm up — do not worry. Just start to perform circular movements of each joint forward and backward. Work out every part of your body in this way.
Warm up the palms of your hands by rubbing them together. Use your palms to warm up your face, neck, ears, and nose. Then rub your entire body with the warm palms from head to toe.
Arm & Shoulder Warm-Up Exercises
Rotate your shoulders forward and then backward. You may roll them alternately or simultaneously. Your arms should be straight. Keep your wrists as if they rest on some support (a table, for instance) – thus your arm muscles work better. Rotate your elbows, and then perform wrist circles, keeping your hands in loose fists.
Warming Up the Spine
Stand straight. Start twisting your torso to the left and to the right. Your lower body and legs should be fixed and remain immovable.
While twisting, keep your neck muscles relaxed. Look straight ahead all the time, wherever you turn. Perform 20–30 reps.
The following exercise is aimed at preparing the lower back and waist for intense training. Stand straight. Perform waist circles leftwards. Do 10 reps and begin the circles in the opposite direction.
This exercise resembles the movement of the boxer who avoids the opponent’s punch. As in the previous exercise, your hips and legs should be fixed.
Warm-Up Exercises for the Legs
You should warm up your feet first. Rest your toe against the floor and rotate your foot in different directions. Slowly raise your heels until you are on your tiptoes, and then slowly lower back down to the ground. Do several reps. To make your warm-up more effective, squat while standing on your tiptoes. Keep your back straight.
So, your warm-up is finished, and it’s high time to proceed to the basic exercises. The effective workout routine which can help you lose weight and get fit at home is represented below.
Tone Your Butt
- Stationary Squats. Stand with your feet wider than shoulder-width apart. Sit back and down like you are sitting on an imaginary chair. The angle must be such that a cup can be put on your leg (about 90 degrees). Stop moving and try to hold this pose for as long as possible.
- Regular Squats. This is the best exercise for a tight and toned butt. You should perform several sets of 20 to 50 reps.
- Jump Squats. Start by doing a regular squat, then jump up explosively for a maximum height, and return to a starting position. 20 reps can be enough.
Get Thinner Legs
- Diamond Kicks. Lie on your back and raise your legs toward the ceiling. Bend your knees and bring the soles of your feet together. Extend your legs out to the sides, as far as possible, and then squeeze the inner thighs to bring them together. Do ten reps.
- Kneeling Side Squats. Begin kneeling on the floor with your arms out in front of you. Sit down on each of your buttocks alternately, transferring the body weight from one buttock to the other. Perform this exercise at a quick pace to keep your balance.
- Sumo Squats. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Angle your toes out and away from the center of your body. Squat slowly so that to feel the work of the hip muscles. Stay in this pose for as long as possible. Then try to return gently to the starting position.
- Side-Lying Leg Raise. Lie on your right side with your right knee bent, and your left leg straight and in line with your back. Raise your left leg as high as you can, and slowly lower to the starting position. Then repeat on the other side. This exercise helps strengthen the inner thighs.
The following exercises can be performed with an elastic band as shown in the picture. It will significantly improve your results:
Get a Flat Belly
- Abdominal Crunches. Lie on your back with your hands loosely placed behind your head, and your knees slightly bent on the floor. Lift your shoulders and upper back up and away from the floor, and try to touch your knees with your chest. Slowly return to the starting position. To make the exercise easier (if it is too difficult for you to perform), do short rises: the main thing is to lift the shoulder blades off the ground;
- Abdominal Twisting. Lie down on your back with your hands clasped beneath your head, and your knees bent on the floor. Lift your upper body trying to bring the elbow of your right arm to the knee of your left leg, and then vice versa;
- Lying Leg Raises. Start by lying down on your back. Place your hands at your sides for support. Extend your legs straight in front of you and lift them to an angle of 45 degrees. Try to hold them for as long as possible, and then lower your legs slowly to the starting position. Do 8–10 reps. You can also slightly shake your legs up and down, or perform the "scissors" movement;
- Advanced Leg Raises. Lie flat on your back with your legs stretched out in front of you, and your arms placed at your sides. Slowly raise your legs until your thighs are perpendicular to the ground. Lower your legs very slowly to feel the work of the abdominal muscles. You can also try to swing the legs to the sides and return them in the perpendicular position. This exercise helps reduce the belly fat.
If these exercises are not enough for you, you can perform the following one:
Strengthen Your Back
№1. Lie on your back with your arms placed at your sides, and your knees bent. Lift your hips off the floor as high as possible, and stay in this pose for as long as you can. Then lower your hips. You can also try to lift one of your legs up or place it on the knee of the other leg. It helps strengthen your back and abdominal muscles.
№2. The starting position is the same. Put your arms up, and then raise your stretched legs. Your hips should be lifted off the floor. Slowly lower your legs. Then stretch after your raised hands, lifting your upper body off the ground. Try to perform several reps.
№3. Lie down facing the floor, extend your arms so that they are parallel to it. Simultaneously lift your arms and legs off the ground. Do 30–40 reps.
Tighten Up Your Arms
- Kneeling Push-Ups. The kneeling push-up is a modified version of the traditional push-up. Get on your knees and place your hands on the floor, shoulder-width apart. Lower your torso to the ground, and then push back up. Try to do 10 push-ups.
- Triceps Dips. For this exercise you need a chair or the edge of a sofa. Stand with your back to it and place your hands on it. Extend and relax your legs. Slowly bend your elbows to lower your body toward the floor. Once you almost reach the ground with your butt, straighten your elbows and return to the starting position. Do 10–15 reps.
- Static exercise. Stand straight with your arms extended in front of you, parallel to the floor. Try to keep them in this position for as long as possible.
Boost Your Results with a Proper Diet
A successful weight-loss process has two equally important parts: physical activity and healthy eating. Your results depend on your food choices and their amount in your diet. Therefore, if you want to be pleased with your reflection in the mirror, you should adhere to the following principles.
Restrict Your Calorie Intake
You can calculate the number of calories you need to consume per day to lose weight. The equation is as follows:
(655 + (height, cm × 1.8) + (weight, kg × 9.6) - (age × 4.7)) × activity coefficient
The activity coefficient is:
- 1.2 for those not engaged in sports activities;
- 1.38 for those training 1–3 times a week;
- 1.55 for those having 3–5 workouts a week;
- 1.73 for athletes working out more than 5 times a week.
For the purpose of weight loss, subtract 400–500 from the resulting number.
For example: your height is 167 cm, your weight is 55 kg, you are 25 years old, and your activity coefficient is 1.55.
(655 + 167 × 1.8 + 55 × 9.6 – 25 × 4.7) ×1.55
Then subtract 500, and it turns out that you should consume 1617 calories per day to lose weight safely. Of course, it seems impossible to count every calorie in your diet, but at least try to estimate the approximate number of calories you intake.
Keep the Optimal Macronutrient Ratio
Proteins should make 30-40% of the general caloric value, fats – 15-20%, and carbohydrates – 30-40%. Try to eat carbohydrate-rich foods in the morning or at lunchtime. In the evening eat mainly high-protein foods.
The best sources of protein are:
- Chicken, lean meat
- Cottage cheese
- Soy products (for example, soy meat, tofu cheese).
Give Up Junk Food
If you want to lose weight, you should refuse from sugar, fast food, sweet soda and packaged juice, mayonnaise, high-fat and fried foods. Even though we all know this principle, only a few of us really follow it.
By the way, there are healthier alternatives to almost all our favorite junk foods. For example, you can add artificial sweeteners to your tea, or dress your salad with Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise.
Eat 5–6 Small Meals a Day
Skipping meals can slow your metabolism. To keep your metabolism running, eat frequently, but do not exceed your daily allowance of calorie intake.
Be Careful with Mono Diets
The consequences of mono diets can be very harmful. Such dieting decreases the metabolic rate. Moreover, there is a great risk to regain weight once the diet is over.
- Here’s a simple formula for you to remember: Weight loss = Regular workouts + Healthy diet. Do not neglect either of them. Of course, it is possible to lose weight only with the help of a diet; however, it can result in significant slowdown of metabolism;
- Find time to exercise at home every day. Never postpone and put your workouts off, because regularity makes the results;
- Set only realistic goals and do not expect any incredible results, such as 7 pounds lost in a week;
- Always keep yourself motivated, and do not allow other people to lead you astray. Do not listen to your friends assuring you that nothing bad will happen if you eat this candy or that cookie.
- Take selfies more often, and if you’ve been working out well, you will see noticeable results very quickly.